Today our concern is how to take care of hair after smoothening? Because getting chemically straightened hair is an easy task, but managing them and keeping the same for a long time is not everyone's cup of tea.
Hair smoothening process gives you the beautiful look you always wanted. But, chemically treated hair becomes more prone to frizz, dryness and damage because of the wrong products used for the process, such as harsh shampoos and conditioners containing sulphate, pollution and other factors.
Read more: Simple Guidance For You In Dry Hair
We have some great tips for you all that your smoothening treated hair will love to have:
Level 1 - Tips for hair just after smoothening
Just after getting the smoothening or straightening treatment procedure done, you start jumping with joy because of having those new beautiful looks and starts craving for trying new hairstyles and hair accessories.
But before all these things there are some essential tips you have to take care for the best results:
- Avoid water on your hair for at least three days, not even the single drop of water should touch your treated hair.
- Avoid putting your newly treated hair behind your ear or any hairpin and tying your hair because that will bend your hair and put a kind of bad mark on your hair.
- Careful while sleeping: For about three days you have to compromise with your sleeping postures also because you have to make sure that your hair is straight throughout the night while sleeping. Also change your pillowcase for hair health.
Level 2 - Tips for hair after 3 days of smoothening
Congratulations! The most vulnerable days are crossed if you have taken care of your hair correctly for the starting 3 days after taking hair smoothening treatment.
Now it’s time to give your hair the first wash and take care of them afterwards.
- Rinse your shampoo and conditioner using only cold water. Never use the hot water for hair wash.
- Wash your hair with the sulphate free shampoo (mild shampoo) recommended by your hair professional. Before this, know some essential tips for hair washing.
- Condition your hair with a conditioner of the same brand as shampoo after each third day and leave it on your hair for a little longer than usual. You can read an article on ‘how to use hair conditioner’ to know more about the procedure.
- Use hair masks again of the same brand as of the shampoo and conditioner, which helps to keep the moisture layer alive on your hair. You can use a homemade hair mask as well.
- Use a wide tooth comb to avoid the breakage of hair and first try to detangle your hair with your fingers very calmly and patiently.
- Use recommended hair serum daily, which protects your treated hair from all kind damage or pollution by creating the protecting layer on your hair.
You may also like to read: Why Do You Need Hair Restore & Hair Growth Serum?
- Go for a hair spa regularly, because it replenishes your any kind of damage and makes your hair healthy and beautiful again.
Want to know why? This article can help you out: Hair Spa – A Good Option Or Not
Level 3 - Tips for hair after 15 days of smoothening
At this level, when hair is taken care of the way they want, then they become settled and more manageable than the previous levels. Now you also become a little more habitual to follow the daily hair care tips.
So following are the points that you have to remember and take care of after 15 days and afterwards also:
- Firstly start focusing on your diet, add foods for your hair routine such as biotin rich foods, nuts, almonds, green vegetables, dairy products and lots of fruits which can add richness to your healthy hair. You can explore this article for more food for hair growth and care.
- Add sufficient protein in your diet as it is crucial for hair health. Fish, chicken, eggs, and soy products are rich sources of protein. Also add foods rich in amino acids. You can have supplements that support your hair.
- Get trimming done regularly so that there would not be any split ends or damaged hair that can make your hair prone to further damage. Moreover, trimming will help you to get a healthy hair look.
- Do not use heat styling tools such as flat iron as this will further damage the hair shafts. Avoid all kinds of heat styling products but still, if you are a styling addict, then you can opt for the cool setting or the use of a diffuser.
- Treating your hair chemically already puts so much load of chemicals on your hair so no to any kind of treatment, styling and colouring for at least next six months.
- Use things such as hats and scarves to protect your treated hair from the harmful sun rays, pollution, wind and rain.
- Do not use tight hair elastics and pins which can put a corrugated mark on your hair that will be difficult to straighten again.
- Use a conditioner as a shampoo in between the shampoo wash in a week if your hair is dry and non-greasy.
Keeping your hair happy is a game of Tit for Tat because the more you pamper them, the healthier and beautiful they will look. So go and follow these tips for taking care of your hair after smoothening and fearlessly flaunt your stunning bouncy looks!
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
1. Is smoothening good for hair?
Smoothening makes your hair look soft, glossy and shiny that can last up to 6 months or more. After a few washes, the shine reduces and hair becomes dry. Repeated smoothing can cause hair damage.
2. How to smoothen hair at home?
You can get smooth hair at home with some tips such as washing hair with cold water, using hair serum and hair masks and combing with care.
Read more: How To Use Hair Serum?
3. What are the side effects of hair smoothening?
Side effects include chronic hair fall, damage to natural hair, dryness, hair thinning and split ends.
4. What is the difference between smoothening and straightening?
Smoothening provides smoothness and shine to the hair while straightening makes even curly hair appear sleek and frizz-free.
5. Which is better keratin treatment vs smoothening?
Smoothing lasts for about 6-8 months, while keratin treatment lasts for about 3-4 months. If you want the effects of treatment for a long time then smoothening is better.
6. Can I apply oil after hair smoothening?
Applying anything to your hair after you've given it in the chemical treatment might harm it. So, you should avoid oiling your hair.