Curly hair - Do’s and Don'ts
If you have naturally curly hair you have surely received the complement of having pretty hair. A good hair care routine can differentiate between curly hair and good curly hair.
But curly hair has its own set of challenges unlike the straight and the wavy hair. Let me tell you the reality that the struggle for the curly hair is real.
In this article we will be focusing on :
- How to take care of the curly hair?
- How to keep the hair curly?
- Things to avoid with curly hair
- How often to wash the curly hair?
How to take care of the curly hair?
To maintain and take care of curly hair, you can follow the below-mentioned steps:
1. Pre Shampoo treatment
Pre shampoo treatment is the best way to frizz free and detangle the hair. Pre shampoo is generally a delight for the curly hair. You can separate your dry hair in sections and treat it with a conditioning oil and also you can apply a hair mask for about 20 minutes.
A shower cap and a towel covering the hair can be used to open up the cuticle and trap the heat resulting in the good penetration of the conditioner into the hair.
2. Excessive shampooing should be avoided
Excess of the shampoo should be avoided as it can draw out the natural moisture of the hair. Curly hair dries very easily. Before buying the conditioner for your hair, always look for the moisturizing ingredients on the pack.
The importance of conditioning the hair is that it ensures the sealing of the hair cuticle and protection against environmental damage. To know about conditioners, you can click here!
3. Choose the correct shampoo
As we all know that shampooing of the hair is the foremost step in the hair care routine or any hair care treatment. Washing of the hair is done to remove the excess of the oil, dead skin cells and the dust. Also in case of buying a shampoo always look for a shampoo that is paraben-free and sulfate-free and contains mild surfactants.
4. Avoid brushing
Brushing of the wet hair leads in the breakage and the damaged hair, the same as in the case of the curly hair. Remember never to brush the curly hair. Before shampooing the hair use a wide-toothed comb for combing the hair. You can simply use your fingers after washing your curly hair.
5. Always use cold water for washing the hair
During the conditioning and the shampooing process, cold water rinses are the best and the safest. The drawback of washing the hair with hot water is that hot water removes the sebum or the natural oil from the hair and scalp. Hot water makes the hair strands more prone to breakage and frizz by opening the cuticle of the hair.
6. Natural Treatments for Healthy Curly Hair
You can use a natural hair mask which can be easily made at home. A hair mask made up of vinegar, eggs, mayonnaise and olive oil can be applied on the hair and rinsed after 30 minutes. Mayonnaise adds shine and moisture to the dry hair, while eggs are the rich source of proteins.
Avocados are the rich source of Vitamin E and vitamin B. Hair masks made up of avocado mash, olive oil or coconut oil and honey are also very advantageous for the hair.
Hibiscus, fenugreek seeds and apple cider vinegar are some of the natural treatments for healthy hair.
How to keep the hair curly?
- You can use a curl cream to curl your hair perfectly and have a good curl pattern but try not to use too much of the curl cream as it can suppress down the weight of the hair.
- Hair gels and hair sprays can also be used to keep the curled hair in its place.
- Hairpins, bobby pins and rollers can be used to roll up the curly hair.
- One of the most important things to keep the hair curls intact is by skipping the conditioner once in a while.
- You can also use a curling iron to curl your hair. Avoid regular use.
Things to avoid with curly hair
- Try to avoid heat styling on your hair. Application of the heat on the hair uncloak the natural moisture of the hair. You can use heat protectant products also.
- Daily washing of the hair can strip off the sebum or the natural oil from the scalp and the hair. Read more about “How to wash hair properly?”
- Try to keep your hair open and avoid tight ponytails as curly hair is more prone to frizz. Tight ponytails can result in scalp pain.
- Always use those products that are specifically made for the curly hair.
- Avoid cotton pillows while sleeping as they can create friction between the hair strands and can lead to breakage of the hair. Try to use silk pillowcases.
- One of the most important things to keep in mind is that never compare your curly hair with straight hair and other hair types.
How often to wash the curly hair?
Hair should be washed every 2 or days. Regular washing of the hair strip off the natural oil or the sebum from the hair and scalp resulting in the dryness of the hair. Also if you are a gym freak, you can use a leave in conditioner between your shampooing sessions.
Always try to follow a gentle hair care routine and limit the heat styling to your beautiful hair.
Rightly chosen hair products, right hair care routine and right hairstyles can keep up the curly hair game good. As curly hair is unique, they are delicate, fragile and also, people having curly hair experience low levels of moisture. Therefore if you have curly hair you should follow the above mentioned tips and keep your hair healthy and curly.
1. How to make hair curly?
You can use a curl cream to curl your hair perfectly but try not to use too much of the curl cream as it can suppress down the weight of the hair. Hairpins and rollers can be used to roll up the curly hair.
2. How to maintain curly hair?
Try to avoid heat styling on your curly hair. Application of the heat on the hair uncloak the natural moisture of the hair. Always use those products that are specifically made for the curly hair.
3. Is curly hair unprofessional?
It generally depends upon how you take care of the curly hair. Well managed curly hair is not at all unprofessional.