Rice holds a special place in our diets- our comfort food! Other than being just edible, rice water for hair is an ancient remedy which is believed to promote stronger, shinier, and healthier locks.
But does it really work? What about the use of rice water for skin? Are there any potential side effects of rice-infused water? Join me to reveal the truth behind all the hype- the benefits and drawbacks of using rice water for hair and skin.
Get ready to go on board towards luscious tresses and radiant skin!
Let’s discuss rice water's benefits for hair and skin along with its usage and potential side effects:
- What makes rice water so special?
- How to make rice water?
- Benefits of rice water for hair
- How to use rice water for hair?
- Rice water benefits for skin
- How to use rice water for face?
- Possible side effects of rice water on hair
- In a Nutshell…
What makes rice water so special?
Packed with ample vitamins, minerals, and amino acids, rice water is useful for hair and skin health. It is enriched with proteins that building blocks for skin cells. The presence of large amounts of starch, triglycerides and lipids plays a huge role in improving the skin and hair in ways unlimited. Additionally, it contains inositol and antioxidants which helps to strengthen the hair and increase shine, promote softer hair and decrease hair tangle.
How to make rice water?
Boiled rice water:
After cooking the rice, the excess water left is called boiled rice water. To prepare, boil the rice in double the amount of water. When the rice is half cooked, rinse the cloudy water into a spray bottle. These bottles are highly convenient to use on hair and skin- without soaking or re-wetting the head.
Fermented rice water:
Take a cup of rice and wash them. Now steep the rice in sufficient water for almost 20 minutes. Stir them after every 5 minutes. Strain out the water. Keep it overnight to kick-start its fermentation.
Tip: Warmer the room, the quicker the fermentation process.
Benefits of rice water for hair:
This cloudy water assists in strengthening the elasticity and decreasing surface friction. Some of the additional benefits are mentioned below:
- Recovers hair growth: The use of rice is known to reduce hair fall and help with hair growth. The vitamin-rich composition of rice supports the rejuvenation and repair of hair.
- Decreases split ends: Protein deficiency, pollution and poor maintenance can put your hair health at stake. A refreshing rice water rinse is perfect for those with high porosity hair, as it repairs damage and mends split ends, leaving you with healthier locks.
- Hair Rinse: You can improve the texture and volume of your hair by rinsing them with this starchy water. Learn how to wash hair for better results!
- Protects hair from damage: The presence of carbs in rice water mends hair elasticity, heals damaged hair and protects them.
- Smooth and strong hair: It helps to reinforce hair roots, ensuing shinier, fuller and healthier-looking hair, beneficial for all hair types.
- Combats dandruff: Natural remedy to soothe the scalp, reduce flakiness, and restore pH balance, effectively combating dandruff without harsh chemicals or additives.
- Acts as a hair conditioner: Rice water is a brilliant conditioner which is also cost-effective. Add a little lavender or rosemary essential oil to this cloudy water, apply this solution to your hair and leave for 15 minutes. Let loose shiny and smooth hair after washing.
How to use rice water for hair?
1. Boiled Rice Water: After shampooing, massage boiled starchy water infused with essential oil (lavender or rosemary) to your hair. Let it be for 20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with water. For best results, use weekly for rejuvenated hair.
2. Fermented Rice Water: Mix plenty of mustard powder in the fermented starchy water to form a smooth paste. You can also combine it with a few dribs of olive oil. Apply this paste on your scalp only and keep it for nearly 20 minutes. Wash it with a mild shampoo.
Why should its benefits be limited to just hair? You can also reap the benefits of rice water to make your skin flawless, glass-like and healthy. Read to know!
Benefits of rice water for skin
- Flawless skin: There are many skin-brightening enzymes (squalene, tricin, betaine, and rice bran) in rice starch which is why Korean and Japanese skincare routine raves about this potion. It is used to lessen blemishes, dark spots and brighten the complexion. Its regular use provides smooth and clear skin.
- Anti-ageing: It is packed with antioxidants, therefore; which are found to delay skin ageing. Rice starch strengthens your skin's barrier making the skin firm and resilient.
- Soothes sun damage: As it is devoid of any harsh chemicals, it provides cooling effects on mild sunburn, redness, itching and inflammation.
- Mattifies oily skin: Starchy water has wonderful effects in tightening pores and skin toning. Applying rice water with the help of a cotton pad can help mattify oily skin.
How to use rice water for face?
Just as for hair, stored boiled or soaked rice water can be used on the skin with a cotton pad.
Fermented is more effective than boiled or soaked preparations. You can always dilute it with tap water as required by you. Keep it on the skin for 30 minutes to reveal a fresher you.
You can also DIY a face pack by mixing it with honey, oatmeal and aloe vera gel.
Side effects of rice water on hair and skin
While rice water is beneficial for hair health, you must become wary of the potential side effects and do the needful to avoid any adverse reactions:
- Scalp Irritation: While rice water can be a beneficial hair treatment, some people may experience scalp irritation as a side effect. This can manifest as itchiness, redness, or a tingling sensation. Do a patch test first on your wrist and see if it suits you or not!
- Protein Overload: Rice starch is rich in proteins, and excessive use or prolonged exposure may lead to a protein surplus in the hair. This can make the hair stiff, fragile, and prone to breakage. It is advisable to use this starchy water in moderation and incorporate protein-balancing treatments into your hair care routine.
- Build-up and Product Residue: Proper rinsing of rice water is essential to avoid product build-up, greasy scalp and unmanageable hair. Always ensure thorough rinsing after use and follow up with a clarifying shampoo periodically.
- Allergic Reactions: If you experience an allergic reaction (redness, irritation, swelling, or breathing issues) with its use, discontinue its use immediately. Seek assistance from a healthcare professional.
In a Nutshell…
After diving deep into the enchanting world of rice water, we've unlocked its magical potential for hair and skin. The benefits are undeniable, with rice water boasting a treasure trove of vitamins, proteins, and amino acids that promote hair growth, combat split ends, and restore strength and shine. Not to mention its remarkable ability to brighten the complexion, fight ageing, soothe sun damage, and mattify oily skin.
But as with any beauty secret, caution is necessary. Scalp irritation, protein overload, and product build-up can cast a shadow if we're not careful. So, let's embrace the marvels of rice rinse while being mindful of the possible side effects of using rice.
It's time to embark on a journey to luscious locks and radiant skin, armed with the mystical power of rice water. The magic awaits!
Q. Is rice water good for hair?
Ans. Yes, you can revitalize your hair with the nourishing benefits of rice water for stronger, shinier, and healthier locks.
Q. How to make rice water for hair?
Ans. Start by rinsing half a cup of rice with water. Then, soak the rice in two cups of water for roughly 30 minutes, strain the water, and it's ready-to-used hair rinse or leave-in hair remedy.
Q. Is rice water good for face?
Ans. Rice water can be beneficial for the face as it contains skin-brightening enzymes, antioxidants, and soothing properties. It's toner or face masks help to brighten the skin and promote clear and radiant skin.
Q. What is the hair growth timeline for rice water?
Ans. It will not provide results in growing your hair instantly. It may take almost 30 to 45 days to get visible results if you are consistent in its use.
Q. Does rice water remove dark circles?
Ans. It helps to brighten the under-eye area and diminish dark circles. It encourages blood flow to delicate under the eye region which helps in keeping skin clear and can even repair wrinkles (with time!).