Wrinkles are a natural part of aging and are most prominent on the skin that is exposed to the sun,that is face, neck, hands and forearms. Genetics play an important role in determining the skin type and structure, but exposure of sun rays plays an important role in causing wrinkles in people with light toned skin. Excessive exposure to pollutants and smoking also leads to wrinkling.
What are wrinkles?
Wrinkles also known as rhytides, are lines and creases that form on the skin. As our age increases, our body starts producing reduced amounts of proteins collagen and elastin. This makes our skin thinner and less resistant to damage from various factors like sun, pollution and environmental changes.
Sometimes wrinkle becomes deep crevices or furrows which can be easily seen on the face, neck and hands. So, if you're concerned about your skin’s appearance then you must visit your dermatologist because they can only assess your skin and give the best skin care plan.
Causes of Wrinkles:
Wrinkles are caused by a combination of various factors like age, sun exposure, smoking, pollution and many more. Some of these factors can be controlled while others are out of our reach.
Age- As our skin ages, it becomes weak and fragile because of less production of collagen and elastin proteins. Decreased production of natural oil makes it dry and dull, leading to wrinkles all over the skin. As we grow older the fat deposits present deep in the skin get diminished and make our skin loose and slaggy, leading to deep creases and furrows.
Exposure to UV rays of the sun- UV rays from the sun are one of the main causes of early wrinkling and even speeds the natural aging processes. These harmful rays break the protein fibers and without the connective tissue, our skin becomes weak, fragile and prone to wrinkling.
Pollution and smoking- These both factors can contribute in accelerating the natural aging process and leading to wrinkling of the skin. It is seen that smoking and pollution present in the environment affects the collagen's synthesis and thus leading to fine lines on the skin.
Repeated facial expressions- Facial movements like smiling or squinting can lead to fine lines and wrinkles. Each time you smile or do any facial expression, a groove is formed beneath the skin. As the skin ages, it loses its flexibility and thus these grooves become permanent and appear in the form of wrinkles.
How to remove wrinkles?
Here are some tips to protect your skin and prevent the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
1. Everyone knows that wearing sunscreen with spf 50 plays a vital role in preventing skin cancer and sun damage. It is seen that wearing a moisturising sunscreen is highly beneficial in maintaining skin's health and minimising age related changes.
2. Reduce the sugar uptake of the body because it is seen that excessive sugar consumption can be bad for your skin health. Glycation of sugar in the body leads to formation of products called AGE’s which reduces collagen synthesis in our body, making our skin lose its flexibility, which further leads to wrinkles.
3. Smoking is injurious for health, as it ages our skin prematurely by affecting the collagen and elastin synthesis. Since, these proteins are now produced in lesser amounts, our skin loses its elasticity and shows signs of aging.
4. Using coconut oil daily on your skin proves to be highly beneficial because it fills the gap in the epidermis and makes your skin smoother. It helps in retaining moisture in your skin and makes your face look fuller and fresher.
5. It is seen that beta carotene and retinol have a role in blocking UV rays from entering the skin and that is why they are present in most of the anti wrinkle creams. It even minimizes the chance of premature aging of the skin.
6. Trying lemon balm leaf tea on a daily basis is highly beneficial for your skin. It helps in preventing fine lines and makes the skin more elastic and corrects tissue damage.
7. Some theories say that wrinkling of skin occurs because of the way you sleep and by the pressing of the face against the pillow. As the time passes these compression on the face gets developed into wrinkles.
8. Washing your face regularly before going to sleep plays a key role in keeping your face fresh and wrinkle free. Make sure you use water based wipes to clean your face before sleeping and finish your washing by splashing cold water on your skin.
9. We can even prevent wrinkles by using some home remedies like, aloe vera have some healing properties and thus heals the furrows and grooves. Egg whites help in improving the skin’s appearance. Massaging your skin with essential oil helps in healing the skin and preventing wrinkles.
10. Skin is exposed to maximum oxidative stress than any organ. So, it is necessary that we consume food rich in antioxidants and use anti aging products that reduce the oxidative stress. Eating a diet rich in blueberries, kidney beans, grapes, kales etc, are highly beneficial.
Anti aging products
There are a variety of products available in the market which are helpful in delaying the age related changes that occur in our skin. These include anti wrinkle creams, serums and masks.
Under eyes wrinkle cream reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and moisturises, brightens the skin around the eyes.
Anti aging night creams help in boosting collagen and elastin synthesis and renews skin resilience and rejuvenates skin appearance. These face cream for wrinkles contains the appropriate anti aging ingredients which helps in preventing fine lines on the face.
Thus having some wrinkles or fine lines on your face is not at all problematic but if you are highly concerned regarding age related changes in your skin , then you must see a dermatologist. Skin care products, preventing UV exposure and a healthy lifestyle can definitely help you in avoiding them entirely.
1. How to remove wrinkles from the face?
We can remove or prevent them from our face by adopting some changes in our lifestyle. Wearing sunscreen while going out, reducing sugar uptake, changing sleeping position, preventing smoking etc, are some of the changes that can help in delaying such processes.
2. How to remove wrinkles naturally at home?
We can get rid of wrinkles by using some home remedies and these natural methods even are highly effective. Aloe vera has high healing properties, using a banana mask can boost skin’s health, egg whites help in improving skin’s appearance and essential oils play a role in preventing wrinkles.
3. Can botox reverse wrinkles?
Botox can prevent fine lines or wrinkles that are caused by muscle movements and these can reverse mild lines and prevent them from developing. Thus, botox can only reverse mild wrinkles.
4. How to get rid of under eye wrinkles?
We can get rid of them by performing various facial exercises to tighten the skin, by exfoliating our dry skin, preventing smoking, eating a balanced diet and avoiding sun exposure.