11 coconut oil benefits for skin and hair for coming winters 2021
Natural oils are one of the most inexpensive, easily accessible and effective beauty therapies. Being enriched with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, soothing, anti-microbial and moisturizing properties, these oils are attractive complementary options for certain skin and hair cosmetic concerns like dryness, irritation or inflammation. The fusion of such natural oils with potent skin and hair care essentials like hydrating foaming face wash or revitalizing shampoo is a perfect amalgam to rejuvenate and revive hair and skin, especially in winters.
Amongst natural oils, coconut oil is also counted in the topmost natural oils for the associated context. Rich in fatty acids like palmitic acid, myristic acid, lauric acid, capric acid, caprylic acid and linoleic acid along with potent antioxidants, benefits of coconut oil for skin and hair rejuvenation are immense. From moisturizing dry skin to improving barrier, healing wounds, preventing split ends and improving hair texture and shine, coconut oil does everything.
Let's explore about the benefits of coconut oil for face and hair:
What is coconut oil?
It is an edible oil extracted from the dried kernel of mature coconuts, renowned with the name of 'copra'. This basically went through certain levels of processing, thereby known as refined oil. This type of coconut oil possesses no flavor or aroma.
Other than this, there is an unrefined form of oil, known as virgin coconut oil.
What is virgin coconut oil?
Unrefined or Virgin coconut oil is formed from the fresh milk of coconut via cold compression method. This helps to preserve the all natural constituents, antioxidants and aroma of the oil.
Talking about virgin coconut oil and refined coconut oil benefits for hair and skin, then it certainly depends which is better for which concern. For instance, virgin coconut oil provides better in improving barrier function and skin hydration. However, virgin form is comedogenic in nature, hence not good for acne prone skin type.
Let's explore the refined and unrefined coconut oil benefits in detail:
1. Cleansing oil
This oil possesses potent antibacterial properties, thereby can act as a potent cleansing lotion and makeup remover. In winters, it is the best solution to cleanse all the dirt and makeup away and to leave skin soft and supple. Don't use this coconut oil if your skin is of extremely oily-acne type skin. Know your skin type by skin analysis.
- To cleanse your face, you only need to liquidize coconut oil.
- Take oil onto the palms, rub the palms to liquidize the oil and gently massage with this on a dry face.
- Once you are done with massaging thoroughly, rinse your face with lukewarm bearable water and pat dry your face.
- Afterwards, you are good to go for the next skin care step.
2. Skin lightening agent
This oil is a potent depigmenting agent. Along with this, it moisturizes and soothes the dry dark skin. All this together significantly reduces the dark spots and renders the uneven skin tone.
In winters, our skin looks more dull and dark. In this context, virgin coconut oil can be helpful. This coconut oil in certain ways to tackle your uneven skin:
Virgin Coconut Oil + Lemon
- To get rid of dark spots, this combination is the best remedy.
- Take 2 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil and add a few drops of lemon in it.
- Mix well and apply the mixture on the affected area using a cotton ball.
- Let it stay for about 20 minutes and wash off afterwards with lukewarm water.
Virgin Coconut Oil + Turmeric
Turmeric is also known to reduce hyperpigmentation and improves the skin glow. This combination can also work in order to reduce the dark spots.
- Take 1 or 2 teaspoons of turmeric and make its fine paste by adding an adequate amount of coconut oil.
- Apply the paste on the affected area overnight and rinse with lukewarm water in the morning.
Virgin Coconut Oil + Baking Soda
Baking soda is an anti-inflammatory agent, thereby reducing redness and sunburn. This mixture can also work well to treat the problem of hyperpigmentation.
- Take 1 tablespoon of baking soda, 1/8 tablespoon oil of coconut, ½ lemon juice and 3 drops of tea tree oil.
- Mix all the ingredients and apply on the affected area.
- Leave for about 3 minutes, gently scrub and wash thoroughly with normal water.
- Pat dry the skin and apply skin lightening cream afterwards.
3. Natural Moisturizer for dry skin
Virgin or normal coconut oil is a potent natural moisturizer. It significantly helps to boost skin hydration, reduces inflammation and irritation, repairs dry and extremely dry skin, helps to trap moisture and reinforce skin protective barriers in cold windy seasons.
To moisturize skin, you can either apply this oil directly onto skin for the whole night. Else, you can go for coconut moisturizing lotion.
Coconut moisturizing lotion
- Take 1 cup virgin or extra virgin coconut oil and 1 teaspoon vitamin E and some drops of essential oil in it.
- Start whipping the mixture.
- Once you get a smooth texture, your lotion is ready.
- Store it in an airtight jar at a dark cool place.
Coconut milk cream
Coconut milk cream provides intense moisturization to the extremely dry skin. If you have coconut milk at home, then you definitely go for this remedy.
- Chill the coconut milk overnight.
- Now take out the layer of cream over milk in the morning.
- Apply this onto skin for about 10 to 15 minutes and rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Apply ultra hydrating moisturizer afterwards.
4. Coconut mask for oily skin
Coconut Oil + Curd + Lemon
- All three ingredients will work great together to keep oily skin in control.
- Take 1 tablespoon of curd, half tablespoon of oil and lemon juice.
- Mix all the ingredients and apply onto dry skin for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Afterwards, rinse well and apply mattifying moisturizer.
5. Body Scrub
- Coconut oil also works as a base in body scrub and leaves moisturized skin afterwards.
- Take half a cup of melted oil.
- Add 1 cup of brown sugar or salt in it.
- You can add a few drops of essential oil in it as well.
- Apply onto the skin. Scrub gently and wash away with lukewarm water.
6. Cuticle Protector
In winters, the skin around the nails start peeling off. The cuticles reach the worst condition in the cold season. Here the coconut oil can help you out due to its deep conditioning properties
Do the remedy when you are not doing any physical work or going to sleep.
Take an adequate amount of coconut oil.
Apply on nails and cuticles of hands and feet.
Apply and massage.
Later cover your feet with socks and then go to sleep.
7. Deep hair conditioner
- Being a good moisturizer, coconut oil also used to moisturize and condition the scalp and hair.
- Take an adequate amount of oil.
- Heat it little by placing the jar of oil in a hot water pot.
- Apply onto the scalp and hair and wear shower cap.
- Leave for the whole night and rinse hair with a revitalizing shampoo.
8. Frizz Controller
Coconut oil prevents hair from absorbing water, principally in humid climates. This function can help to tame frizz in the hair.
- Take a small quantity of oil and apply post-wash or before going out in a humid climate.
9. Coconut Hair Mask
- Take half a cup of oil (coconut). Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and 2 drops of rosemary (optional).
- Now whip the mixture.
- Comb your hair and apply the creamy mixture onto scalp and hair.
- Comp afterwards.
- Leave it for about 15 to 20 minutes and shampoo with a gentle rejuvenating shampoo and nourishing conditioner.
These are the ways in which coconut and virgin coconut oil can be used for skin and hair. Include this amazing, inexpensive and efficacious natural oil in your beauty regimen and enhance your aesthetics.
10. Tames Split Ends
Not only the humid season, but the winter season also leads to split ends. The cold outside and humid inside wreak havoc on your tresses. This becomes the reason behind your hair damage. To correct split ends, coconut oil is the ultimate solution.
For this, take a scoop or can say handful of coconut oil.
Apply onto hair, from ends to the mid of the strands.
Now clip your hair and wrap these up using a shower cap or soft towel.
Keep it for about 30 to 40 minutes.
Take shower, use revitalizing mild shampoo and end up with using hair smoothening serum.
11. Reduce Dandruff
Coconut oil not only conditions and nourishes the hair but is also helpful in controlling dandruff without affecting scalp moisture during the winters.
For this you only need neem and coconut oil in equal parts.
You can also add some lemon drops in it.
Mix the ingredients and apply onto the scalp, especially the affected area.
Massage for sometime and leave for about 2 to 3 hours.
Afterwards rinse the hair using a good anti-dandruff shampoo.
Q. Is coconut oil good for the face?
Ans. Coconut oil due to its antimicrobial, antioxidant, moisturizing, and skin-lightening properties is very beneficial for skin care.
Q. Does applying coconut oil cause pimples?
Ans. Coconut oil is comedogenic. It can clog the pores. It is advisable to not use this oil if your skin is acne-prone.
Q. Is coconut oil good for inflamed skin?
Ans. Coconut oil possesses anti-inflammatory and moisturizing properties, which make it suitable natural oil for inflamed skin.
Q. What hair type is best for coconut oil?
Ans. Oily, thick and fine to medium conditioned hair are best to go for coconut oil hair remedies. If your hair is extremely dry and damaged, don't go for coconut oil. As coconut oil blocks hair from getting much moisture. This might exert an adverse impact on extremely dry hair and scalp.
Q. Does coconut oil aids in fading wrinkles?
Ans. Coconut oil is involved in improving collagen production. It can be said that regular application of coconut oil can help to fade wrinkles and in delaying aging.
Q. Does coconut oil darken skin?
Ans. Coconut oil doesn't darken the skin. Although, it helps to even-tone the skin complexion.
Q. Is coconut oil good for hair?
Ans. Coconut oil is good for hair. It provides various hair care benefits, for instance, moisturizes the scalp, makes hair shiny, tackles dandruff, controls frizz of hair.
Q. Is coconut oil good for skin winter skincare?
Ans. Yes, coconut oil is amazing for skin and even for hair in winters. It keeps skin moist, dewy, nourished and hydrated in the winters. You hardly feel any itchy, dry or arid skin, even when the days are cold and windy.
Health, Beauty & Wellness Writer
M.Sc. in Biochemistry
Being passionate about knowing the secrets of how to keep body and skin healthy, fit and aesthetically beautiful, she came into the profession of writing skin and hair care articles.