In the past, it was considered that toners were unnecessary and incredibly drying which was not good for a radiant and healthy complexion. But, these days, toners are highly beneficial for our skin, because they help in cleansing the skin.
Let's discuss in detail about toner:
What is a toner?
Toner is often misunderstood and most people don't know when to use it and how to use it. A face toner basically absorbs all the moisture, dirt, and oil from the face and cleanses it. It even balances the pH of the skin and controls acne.
Face toners are meant to be used after washing your face and before using serum or moisturizer. Thus, facial toners prepare your face for moisturizers and serum after getting rid of excess oil and dirt.
Even a toner with salicylic acids and glycolic acid can prevent oily skin and maintain the pH levels of the skin.
Face toner benefits:
Face toners are highly beneficial for us as they:
1. Cleanses our skin and removes all the dirt and germs.
2. Restores and balances our skin’s pH level.
3. It reduces the appearance of pores in the skin.
4. Hydrates the skin and prevents dryness.
5. It reduces acne and blackheads.
6. Diminishes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, thus delays the age-related changes in our skin.
7. Evens skin tone and make it look more vibrant and younger.
8. It even removes the upper layer of dead skin cells.
9. It even prevents ingrown hair.
10. It makes the skin look refreshed and rejuvenated.
How to use a face toner?
Using a toner is very simple and straightforward, it involves soaking a cotton ball with the toner, then applying it over your face, neck, and chest. Toner should be applied after washing your face and before using a moisturizer or serum. Instead of using cotton, hands can even be used to apply the toner on the face.
A toner should be used twice, once in the morning and other in the night, but if applying it twice is causing some complications then it is advised to use it once only. So make it a part of your skincare routine.
Homemade face toners
Homemade toners are very simple to make and just require a few ingredients from the kitchen.
- Witch hazel is an excellent natural toner, which tightens the pore of the skin and works well with oily skin. However, it can be highly drying and astringent, so it should not be used for sensitive skin.
- Using rose water and vinegar together proves to be highly beneficial because it tightens your skin and improves the complexion simultaneously.
- The holy plant of basil is quite beneficial for maintaining the health of our skin. Making a toner out of basil leaves shows immediate results and is efficient for all skin types.
- Green tea supplies natural oil to the skin and works as an excellent toning agent. Thus, applying green tea on the face is highly important because it contains many skin nourishing herbs.
- Cucumber is known for its radiating properties and curd for its hydrating properties. So, when both of these are mixed together, they turn out to be, one of the best toners for our skin.
Thus toner is a secret weapon for a healthy and youthful skin. Basic skin toner is perfect for oily and acne prone skin. But, the role of reformulated toners is not just to cleanse the skin, these are alcohol free and have a soothing and mild effect on the skin. Skin toners can solve a wide range of skin related problems and are suitable for all skin types.
1. What does face toner do?
Toner removes all the traces of dirt, germs, oils, and impurities that are stuck inside the pores of the skin. It cleanses the face and balances the pH of the skin. So, if the face toner is used regularly and it is a part of your beauty routine, then it can have a positive impact on your skin.
2. Is face toner necessary?
Toners are not necessary, but its use can be beneficial for those people who are suffering from acne-prone skin or oily skin. Going for homemade toners is even better because they are natural and may not cause any adverse effects.
3. How to apply toner on the face?
It is very easy to use a toner as it involves a few basic steps. First, the cotton ball is soaked in the toner, and then it is applied on the face, neck, and chest. It is preferred to use it twice a day, once in the morning once in the night.
4. When should we apply toner?
A toner is applied after you have washed your face and before using a moisturiser or serum. Some dermatologists say it should be used in the morning while some say it should be used in the night.