Apple cider vinegar for hair and face: 5 Proven benefits
Natural herbs and home remedies have become an important part of skin care and hair care these days. Easy availability, herbal in nature and high efficiency are the major factors behind the popularity of these amazing care ingredients.
The use of natural components has been increased in the skin and hair care industry. These natural products are safer and highly effective. From face wash, moisturizer to anti-hair fall shampoo and conditioner, the natural ingredients embedded products are more in demand.
One of such components is apple cider vinegar, ACV. A subtly sweet, light vinegar which is the soul of salad dressings and vinaigrette. It is the hero of pantry staple.
It is a form of fermented juice of crushed apples. Therefore, like apple juice, its vinegar form is also enriched with potent phytoconstituents. These are acetic acid, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, folic acid, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin C, pectin, flavonoids, anthocyanins and chlorogenic acid.
This is the reason, this vinegar shows potential health benefits. It lowers the risk of heart diseases, aids in lose weight, regulates pH levels, blood sugar levels and detoxifies the body.
Other than these apple cider vinegar benefits, apple cider vinegar for hair and skin conditions works like a marvel. It helps to cleanse the scalp, rejuvenate damaged skin, balance skin pH and dispense a flawless skin and hair.
Let's explore apple cider vinegar benefits for skin and hair:
Apple Cider Vinegar for Skin
Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair
Let's discuss Apple Cider Vinegar uses for Skin:
1) Face Toner:
Being enriched with acetic acid and alpha hydroxy acid, apple cider vinegar helps to restore skin pH, protects from bacteria, adsorbs excess skin oil, unclogs the blocked pores. It is a right candidate for homemade face toner.
For using apple cider vinegar for skin as toner you need:
1 Part apple cider vinegar
2 Parts purified water
- First of all, cleanse the face using a gentle cleansing lotion.
- Now apply the toner onto the skin using a cotton pad or ball.
- You can also store the formulated toner in the spray bottle and can be used in sprinkle form.
Note: In case you feel irritation on the skin or have sensitive skin, you can further dilute the mixture with water.
Know more about face toner here!
2) Acne Treatment:
Apple cider vinegar is anti-bacterial in nature. The phytochemicals present in it significantly act upon the P. acne bacteria, which is the major cause of causing acne.
Also, the vinegar exhibits potential anti-inflammatory properties. This helps to suppress the inflammation caused by P. acne bacteria. The acid also aids in removing the damaged skin layer and promotes regeneration of the skin. This all helps to fade the acne scars.
- Cleanse the face with a suitable cleanser.
- For treating acne mix 1 part of ACV with 3 parts of normal water.
- Apply to the affected area.
- Left for about 20 seconds or longer.
- If you feel irritation, rinse with water immediately.
- After rinsing water, pat dry the face and apply moisturizer.
For Acne Scars:
- To treat acne scars, Mix one part of ACV with one part water and little honey. Mix the solution well and apply on acne scars.
- Leave it for 30 minutes and rinse the face.
- Do it one time a day regularly.
3) Face Wash:
Apple cider vinegar also helps to cleanse face. It removes dirt, grime and related debris. You can make a cleanser of apple cider vinegar.
- For this, mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with ¼ warm cup of water.
- Else, you can also use apple cider vinegar with your hydrating face wash.
- For this use 1 tablespoon of ACV with the face wash and cleanse the face.
ACV is known for its anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, pH balancing and pore cleansing properties. These make this vinegar a potent candidate for treating blackhead concern.
You can remove blackheads via two methods using ACV:
Baking Soda + ACV:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda in an adequate quantity of ACV gradually. Once the mixture stops fizzing, apply the paste onto blackheads.
- Scrub gently for sometime and wash it away.
Clay Powder + ACV:
- Take both the ingredients in 1:1 ration and mix well.
- Apply the paste over blackheads and let it dry.
- Wash it once you notice dirt over it or once it gets dry.
It is always recommended to wear a broad spectrum sunscreen to protect your skin from the harmful effects of sun rays. It can cause you suntan or sunburn. However, if you're met with these skin problems, you can tackle these using some amazing home remedies. ACV is one of them.
- For this, dilute the vinegar with water.
- Dip a washcloth in the diluted water, wringing it out and gently pat on the affected area with this cloth.
- Else, you can take a bath using cool water with added apple cider vinegar in it.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair
1) Itchy Scalp Treatment:
Being enriched with potent anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory actions, ACV significantly helps to treat the problem of itchy scalp.
- To get itch-free scalp, Mix half teaspoon of ACV with 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel.
- Mix the mixture well and apply onto the scalp.
- Left for about 30 minutes and wash off with gentle anti-dandruff shampoo.
ACV contains potent vitamins and minerals. These make them healthy and strong. This will help hair to fall less and in a healthy growth.
- The ACV hair growth formula includes 1 egg white and half teaspoon ACV.
- Mix the ingredients well. Apply onto the scalp thoroughly.
- Leave for about 45 minutes and rinse your hair with regular hair revitalizing shampoo.
- Do this remedy once a week on a regular basis.
ACV is enriched with alpha-hydroxy acids and anti-microbial actions, which are known for its exfoliant actions and eradicating scalp infections. This significantly aids in getting rid of dandruff.
Rinsing the scalp with apple cider vinegar rinse along with using a good anti-dandruff shampoo can help to reduce the dandruff:
- Dilute 1-3 tablespoons of ACV in warm water.
- Wash the hair with this after shampooing the hair.
- Massage the scalp and let the mixture set for some time.
- Afterwards, rinse with normal water.
- You can also add some drops of essential oil in it to mask the smell of vinegar.
Learn about things related to the best anti-dandruff shampoo.
4) Hair Conditioning:
ACV is also used in the mask to condition the hair. It can help to reduce the frizz and dullness of the hair. The hair mask embedded with ACV significantly aids in giving your hair a shine and smoothness.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of ACV with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 3 tablespoons of honey and 2 tablespoons of water.
- Mix the mixture well and apply onto the scalp and hair.
- Left for about half an hour.
- Rinse with normal water instead of shampooing the hair.
ACV repairs the damaged hair and improves hair health. You can use the mixture of curd and ACV to treat damaged hair.
- Mix half teaspoon ACV in 2 tablespoons of curd.
- Apply onto the scalp.
- Leave for half an hour and wash off with lukewarm water.
- Do this remedy once a week.
These are the ways through which apple cider vinegar can be used for hair and skin. Other than these, you can also use skin and hair care products enriched with apple cider vinegar. It aids to repair your skin and hair associated concerns at a fast pace.
“Along with including apple cider vinegar in your cuisine, also include this in hair and skin care routine”
Frequently Asked Questions:
Are there any side effects of apple cider vinegar?
ACV generally is not harmful. However, applying undiluted vinegar for a long time on skin can burn the skin. Also, consumption of ACV in large unwanted quantities can disturb the digestive system, affect potassium levels and can adversely affect tooth enamel.
Does drinking apple cider vinegar give glow to your skin?
Drinking ACV in an adequate amount helps to remove toxins out of the body, balance pH, improves metabolism and controls excessive sebum production. This way ACV definitely aids in making skin glowing.