Different skin types and required skin care routine
Today many of us definitely know the importance of proper morning and night skin care with potent skin care products. This is not only essential for looking attractive and charming, but also for keeping skin healthy. However, to take proper care of your skin, you must know the type of your skin. Are you aware of it?
In broad terms, there are five skin types, viz. dry, oily, normal, combination and sensitive and it is very essential to choose your skin care regimen which can suit that particular skin type. Otherwise, your skin can suffer from unwanted and uninvited skin concerns.
You can find out your skin type by bloating sheet or following bare face method or by trying Derma Essentia Skin Analysis tool. Let's explore all of these in detail and find further required skincare steps in every concerned skin type:
Methods to determine your skin types:
- Bloating sheet method
- Bare face method
Bloating sheet method
The method involves assessment of an excessive layer of oil on skin by using the bloating sheet.
How to do the bloating sheet test?
- First gently pat the pieces of bloating sheet on the multiple skin surfaces.
- Afterwards, keep the pieces of sheets in the sun or artificial light to find out the skin's oil, which was absorbed by those sheets.
- If the sheet is fully saturated with oil i.e. your skin is oily.
- If the sheet is almost soaked no oil i.e. your skin is dry.
- If the sheets absorb oil only from the certain parts of the skin, specifically from nose and forehead i.e. your skin is of the combination type.
Bare face method
This method is also efficient to figure out your skin type. This involves checking the oil on face after some time of washing the face.
How to do the bare face test?
- Firstly, cleanse the face using mild face wash and pat dry gently.
- Leave the skin as it is and don't apply any sort of cream, moisturizer, toner or serum on it.
- After 30 minutes, check your cheeks, forehead, nose and chin area for excessive oiliness or tackiness.
- The skin type would be oily if you'll find oily texture all over the face.
- The skin type would be dry if your skin found to be tight and arid.
- The skin type would be combined if the chin, nose and forehead area found to be oily and rest found dry.
However, except for these skin types, there is a normal and sensitive type as well.
Different skin types are:
So, let's study and evaluate these skin types deeply and explore how these can care effectively.
1. DRY SKIN TYPE
Featured with arid, dry skin with under-active sebaceous glands, dry skin is a skin type which is found to be deprived of proper moisturization and hydration. The extent of dryness can vary person to person, due to which different persons evident to have differential characteristics.
People with dry skin can be featured with:
To tackle this type of skin a commonly used cream or any other skin care product might not be beneficial. You need a proper skin care regimen for dry skin with the right products to restore and lock the moisture of your skin.
Dry Skin Care Routine:
The skin care routine for dry skin involves the products which are basically embedded with hydrating and natural, skin-friendly formula. You need:
- Gentle cleansing lotion
- Hydration face wash
- Ultra-hydrating moisturizer or cream
- Gel-based or cream-based sunscreen
- Rejuvenating night cream
What to do in a dry skin care routine?
- Start your morning with rinsing your face with hydrating face wash.
- Apply Face toner following by application of vitamin C serum (optional).
- Now apply ultra-hydrating moisturizer and sunscreen.
- During the night, start your skin care with gentle cleansing lotion.
- Apply home-based formula, night cream or the ultra-hydrating moisturizer before sleep. To know simple home-based remedies to get over dull skin, click here.
2. OILY SKIN TYPE
Oily skin type is considered to be one of the hard skin types to tackle and manage as this skin is associated with various skin problems like blackheads, whiteheads, acne, excessively oily skin and blemishes, when not cared accurately.
The major cause behind oily skin is the excessive production of sebum from the sebaceous glands, which makes skin greasy and untidy. An oily skin marked by following hallmarks:
- Open and enlarged pores
- Inflamed skin
To manage oily skin, the skin care products might be those which don't lead to excessive oil production. For oily skin, heavy cream-based products can become a curse. You need oil-controlling, non-comedogenic and mattifying products to replenish the skin.
Oily Skin Care Routine:
Oily skin care involves:
- Oil-free foaming face wash
- Face toner
- Vitamin C serum
- Mattifying, oil-controlling moisturizer
- Gel-based broad-spectrum sunscreen
What to do in an oily skin care routine?
- Cleanse the face and remove all the dirt, grime and excess oil using oil-free foaming face wash.
- Must apply toner to keep sebaceous glands under control.
- Apply vitamin C serum, which can significantly help to get rid of uneven skin, hyperpigmentation and acne scars. Remember to do a patch test to check vitamin C serum sensitivity.
- Afterwards, must apply mattifying moisturizer.
- Lastly, apply gel-based sunscreen, which helps to control excessive sebum production effectively.
- Along with this routine, also follow a proper night skin care routine for oily skin. For this, cleanse the face, remove makeup, apply toner and end the routine with vitamin C serum.
3. COMBINATION SKIN TYPE
When it comes to tackling and addressing the skin concerns of combination skin, that means we have to focus on both dry and oily skin associated concerns. The prevalence of dryness or tackiness of skin varies from person to person.
The major characteristics of combination skin type are -
- Oily or oily-acne prone T-zone (forehead and nose)
- Dry or extremely dry U-zone (cheeks and sometimes chin)
Due to combination skin type, sometimes it becomes difficult to handle this skin type. Let's explore in a little deep:
Combination Skin Care Routine:
- The very first step is to always use a gentle skin cleanser, which can help to balance both hydration and control oil production.
- Must apply toner as it will help to maintain your skin pH and doesn't let your aggravated sebaceous glands produce excessive oil.
- While selecting moisturizer, you can go for ultra-hydrating moisturizer as such types of moisturizer not only hydrate your skin but also doesn't cause excessive sebum production. Remember not to use heavy creams.
- If your T-zone is still unmanageable, apply mattifying moisturizer on your T-zone area.
- In the end, always go for gel-based sunscreen as it will help to control both your problems of dryness as well as oiliness.
These are some of the things, which you need to consider if you have a combination skin type.
4. SENSITIVE SKIN TYPE
Sensitive skin type means your skin can easily be irritated or inflamed and is very reactive towards many skin care products and environmental aggressors, especially the sun exposure. People with sensitive skin can easily get sunburn. The people with sensitive skin type can suffer from the following characteristics:
- Dry and rough skin
It is very essential to use any skin care product or cosmetic product very cautiously if your skin is of sensitive type. Don't forget to do a patch test before buying any product.
Sensitive Skin Care Routine:
- Always choose gentle and natural, skin-friendly skin care essentials.
- Apply ultra-hydrating moisturizer which can help to soothe your skin.
- Don't forget to apply a broad spectrum SPF 50 gel-based sunscreen while going out in the sun.
- Also, try to avoid direct contact with sun rays for a longer time.
5. NORMAL SKIN TYPE
Normal skin type meant a well-balanced skin with proper hydration, adequate skin sebum protection with no hyper-sensitivity. This type of skin is best as you don't need to worry while choosing skincare products. However, it is still better to go for good products.
Normal Skincare Routine:
- Choose hydrating face wash and moisturizer.
- You can go for cream, gel or spray- form sunscreen.
- Must apply vitamin C serum, especially in the night skin care routine to maintain the integrity of the skin. To know profoundly regarding vitamin C serum and its benefits in skin care, click here.
These are some of the important points which you need to take care while deciding a full-fledged skin care routine for your skin. Knowing the skin type is the first step.
Know your skin type and give your skin a required skin care treatment and overall care.
In the end, let's also explore some of the FAQs related to skin types and associated skin care:
1. Can my skin type change over time?
The skin type of every person is congenital, however, due to extreme weather conditions or hormonal changes, the skin type of a person can be changed. So, always take care of your skin properly and must watch the skin characteristics as if these change, you need to change your entire skin care regimen.
2. Can I use different products for mixed skin type?
If you have combination skin which shows extremely different T and U zone areas, then you can select different skin care products to manage the problems of these two zones.