As Indians, we are fortunate to have a rich botanical heritage and the neem tree is one of nature's wonders that have been bestowed upon us. For healthy, glowing skin, you do not require a huge list of skincare products, a light touch of nature is all that is required to revitalise your skin.
In India, neem is known for its blood cleansing properties and bitter taste. Neem has been cited in Ayurveda for a number of health advantages and curative properties. This is because neem exhibits anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial bioactive compounds such as Nimbin, Nimbidin, and Azadiractin. Lets dig more into the article to know about neem and its benefits.
NEEM, THE WONDER TREE
"Arista," which means perfect and complete, is one Sanskrit term for Neem. Neem is referred to as "nimba" in ancient Ayurvedic texts, referring to the phrase "nibati systhyamdadati," which means "to give good health." Neem has been designated "the wish-fulfilling tree," owing to its ability to maintain skin health and youthfulness.
NEEM AND OVER ALL HEALTH
- Maintains blood sugar levels
- Anti-bacterial and anti-fungal
- Maintains bone health
- Supports oral hygiene
- Boosts immunity
- Cures ulcer and gastric hyperacidity
- Wound healing
- Maintains skin and hair health
HOW DOES NEEM WORKS FOR SKIN?
Normal skin irritation is generally due to loss of moisture content in the skin. Because neem is high in vitamin E and fatty acids, it easily penetrates the outer layer of skin, restoring the protection barrier and slowing moisture loss.
How to use
- Combine a teaspoon of fresh neem powder and about two teaspoons of fresh aloe vera gel.
- After cleansing your skin with rose water, massage your face with this paste
- After 15 minutes, rinse it thoroughly and sweep your face with a clean cloth.
Reduces aging signs
One of the most significant advantages of neem is its anti-aging properties. It is well-known for its ability to reduce wrinkles and fine lines while also maintaining moisture levels. The fatty acids and vitamins found in neem helps to keep skin supple and reduces fine lines and wrinkles. It decreases the appearance of dark circles by reducing skin pigmentation
Because of its remarkable antioxidant property, neem protects the skin from harmful UV radiation, and environmental stressors.
How to use:
- Neem paste or powder would work effortlessly
- Add ample amount of neem paste or powder in water, apply it on your face for 15-20 minutes and wash it with water
- You can also use neem and yogurt face mask
Treats acne and infection
Neem's antibacterial properties combat acne-causing bacteria, helping in the prevention and treatment of acne. It's also great for managing oil production in skin. Neem has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can help soothe irritated or itchy skin.
How to use: For acne
- Combine neem leaf paste, mashed cucumber, and argan oil to make a facemask.
- After applying, wait for 20 minutes before washing it thoroughly.
- To achieve acne-free, smooth skin, gently massage a moisturizer into your skin.
How to use: For infection
- Apply medicated/organic neem lotion to the affected area if you get scrapes, scratches due to infections, wounds, or insect bites.
Treats Black and white heads
Neem is thought to be extremely effective in the treatment of black and whiteheads. It cleanses the pores of contaminants, dust, pathogens, and dead skin cells. Furthermore, its exfoliating properties aid in the reduction of enlarged pores. For face cleansing, use a scrub or cleanser enriched with neem, or apply a face mask.
How to use:
- Boil some fresh neem leaves in water, and use the absorbed neem water on your face with a cotton swab.
- Repeat this procedure as needed.
Because of its potent blood purifier properties, neem has a high concentration of natural antioxidants. It is also well-known to help vital organs such as liver and kidneys, which aids in the elimination of waste and toxins from the body.
Neem helps to detoxicate body and prevent skin disorders like severe acne, rash and eczema. Neem has Kashaya (astringent) that can help with a variety of skin ailments and Tikta (bitter) that is blood purifier.
How to use:
- Consume organic neem syrup with food or water 4 times a week
Treats uneven skin tone
Melanin is a skin substance that determines the appearance of the skin and hair. Its overproduction in the skin cells creates discoloration and brown spots, as well as uneven skin tone. Neem's antioxidative properties make it extremely effective at limiting melanin production in skin cells.
How to use:
- Create a smooth paste with neem powder, sandalwood powder, and rose water
- Use it thrice a week for achieving glowing skin
- You can also substitute aloe vera with water
Neem for hair:
Scalp Itching and dandruff
Neem has anti-fungal effects that help with dandruff treatment. Neem application alleviates inflammation, itchy scalp and irritation caused by dandruff. Due to its medicinal properties, neem not only enhances scalp health but also keeps the scalp's pH level stable.
To know more about dandruff: Must read
How to use:
- Two times per week, give your hair a gentle massage with neem oil
- Using an anti dandruff shampoo enriched with neem will also work
The restorative property of neem helps in reducing hair loss.While neem can strengthen the roots and promote hair growth; it can also be used to treat hair loss caused by pollution, stress, or medication. It is an age-old remedy for better and healthier hair growth.
How to use:
- Gently give a massage to your scalp with neem oil that boosts circulation of blood that speeds up hair growth.
- You can also add castor oil to it.
Conditions and nourishes hair
Neem contains an important ingredient, fatty acids like oleic, linoleic, and stearic acid which provide excellent nourishment to the hair. With all of its healing properties, neem treats your scalp, improves the beauty and charm of your hair. It keeps your hair moisturized and your scalp healthy.
How to use:
- Fill a bowl with lukewarm water and 1or 2 tablespoons of neem powder, depending on the length of your hair.
- Combine the ingredients and apply it on your hair strands.
- Let it sit for ten minutes before rinsing.
Neem is an absolutely incredible ingredient for skincare that can be used in various forms such as neem leaves, powder, or oil to treat various challenges associated with skin and hair or to simply improve overall health. It is now time to put it to good use.
Q. Can we apply neem oil to our face on a daily basis?
Ans. It is not advised to use neem every day, but rather weekly basis or monthly. Neem face masks are the only ones that can be applied on a daily basis.
Q. How long does it take for neem to work on the skin?
Ans. After ten days, consistent neem use may reveal significant results for your skin.
Q. Can neem lighten the skin?
Ans. The neem tree's leaves moisturize and smoothen your skin. Its anti-fungal properties also help to lighten acne scars and discoloration.