Tired of searching for the perfect skin care routine that suits your skin type? We've all been there, trying countless products and routines, hoping for healthy and flawless skin. But here's the catch: the key to achieving your best skin lies in understanding your unique skin type.
We understand that no one-size-fits-all approach works when it comes to taking care of your skin. Whether you're dealing with skin concerns- excess oily skin, enlarged pores, acne or pimples, dry irritated skin, wrinkles, etc., we've got you covered.
In broad terms, there are five skin types, viz. dry, oily, normal, combination and sensitive. It is essential to build your daily face care routine which can suit that particular skin type. Otherwise, your skin can suffer from unwanted and uninvited skin concerns.
In this blog, you will read about:
- How to know your skin type?
- Skin Care Routine Steps for Different Skin Types
- 5 General Skin Care Tips for All Skin Types
- Take away
How to Know your Skin Type?
Look for the signs and how your skin feels!
After washing your face, look at it in the mirror after 30 minutes without any product (creams, serums, etc.)
- If your whole face looks oily with visible open pores, your skin is oily.
- If your skin feels tight and dry, it is dry skin type.
- If the chin, nose, and forehead are oily while the rest is dry, your skin is combination.
However, except for these skin types, there is a normal and sensitive type as well.
And, then there is the Derma Essentia Skin Analysis tool where you can find your skin type in 7 easy steps. With this detailed analysis, you can make informed choices about the products and routines that will best address your individual skincare needs, helping you achieve the beautiful and vibrant skin you deserve.
Skin Care Routine Steps for Different Skin Types:
1. DRY SKIN TYPE
Dry skin lacks moisture and produces less oil. It appears rough and flaky with uneven texture. It feels tight and may cause irritation and itching. Dry skin is much more prone to fine lines and wrinkles at an early age due to loss of elasticity.
You need skin-soothing products with gentle and hydrating ingredients, such as hyaluronic acid, ceramides, etc. to restore and lock the moisture of your skin and make it soft and smooth.
Skin care routine for Dry Skin:
Ideal products for dry skin types:
- Gentle cleansing lotion
- Hydrating face wash
- Ultra-hydrating moisturizer or cream
- Gel-based or cream-based sunscreen
- Rejuvenating night cream
Steps to follow to build your dry skin care routine:
How to layer skincare products for dry skin?
- Start your morning skin care routine steps by rinsing your face with hydrating face wash
- Apply Face toner followed by application of Hyaluronic Acid Serum for Hydration and Glow or vitamin C serum
- Now apply ultra-hydrating moisturizer and sunscreen
- During the night, start your skin care with gentle cleansing lotion
- Apply home-based formula, night cream or ultra-hydrating moisturizer before sleep
2. OILY SKIN TYPE
Contrary to dry skin, oily skin overproduces sebum (oil) from the sebaceous glands, which makes the skin greasy and shiny.
To manage oily skin, you need oil-controlling, non-comedogenic and mattifying ingredients, such as witch hazel, niacinamide and azelaic acid with anti-inflammatory and pore-unclogging properties for visibly smoother skin.
Skin care routine for oily skin:
Ideal products for oily skin types:
- Oil-free foaming face wash
- Face toner
- Vitamin C serum
- Mattifying, oil-controlling moisturizer
- Gel-based broad-spectrum sunscreen
Steps to follow to build your oily skin care routine:
How to layer skincare products for oily skin?
- Cleanse the face and remove all the dirt, grime and excess oil using an oil-free foaming face wash.
- Must apply toner to keep sebaceous glands under control.
- Apply Niacinamide Serum or Azelaic Acid Serum to better uneven skin, hyperpigmentation and acne scars particularly beneficial for acne-prone skin.
- Remember to start with small concentrations or do a patch test to check if it suits your skin.
- Afterwards, apply mattifying moisturizer to moisturise your skin without a shiny and oily finish.
- Lastly, apply gel-based sunscreen or a mattifying sunscreen for sun protection and prevent sun damage.
- Also, follow a proper night skin care routine for oily skin. Cleanse the face, apply pore-tightening toner and end the routine with vitamin C serum.
3. COMBINATION SKIN TYPE
When it comes to tackling and addressing the skin concerns of combination skin, that means we have to focus on both dry and oily skin-associated concerns.
Oily T-zone, occasional pimples or breakouts, shiny appearance of the skin, and enlarged pores are telltales of combination skin.
Skin care routine for Combination Skin:
- Always use a gentle skin cleanser, which can help to balance both hydration and control oil production
- Must apply toner as it will help to maintain your skin pH and limit excessive oil production
- You can go for ultra-hydrating moisturizer as these not only hydrate your skin but also doesn't cause excessive sebum production
- If your T-zone is still unmanageable, apply mattifying moisturizer on your T-zone area
- Never forget to use a gel-based sunscreen spf 50 for overall skin health maintenance
4. SENSITIVE SKIN TYPE
Sensitive skin type means your skin can easily be irritated or inflamed and is very reactive towards many skin care products and environmental aggressors, especially sun exposure.
People with sensitive skin can easily get sunburn. Redness, dry and rough skin, itching and burning are commonly observed in people with sensitive skin.
You should use skin care products or cosmetic products very cautiously if your skin is of a sensitive type. Don't forget to do a patch test before buying any product.
Skin care routine for sensitive skin:
- Always choose gentle and natural, skin-friendly skincare essentials.
- Apply ultra-hydrating moisturizer which can help to soothe your skin.
- Don't forget to apply a broad spectrum SPF 50 gel-based sunscreen while going out in the sun.
- Also, try to avoid direct contact with sun rays for a longer time.
5. NORMAL SKIN TYPE
Normal skin type meant well-balanced skin with proper hydration and adequate skin sebum protection with no hypersensitivity. This type of skin is best as you don't need to worry while choosing skincare products.
It is clear skin with no redness, visibly small pores and balanced hydration. However, it is still better to go for quality skin care products.
Normal Skincare Routine:
- Choose a hydrating face wash or a gently exfoliating facewash to remove dead skin cells
- Pick lightweight oil-free best moisturizer for all skin types
- You must apply vitamin C serum, Retinol Serum or Hyaluronic acid serum to maintain the integrity of the skin.
- You can go for cream, gel or spray-form sunscreen.
5 General Skin Care Tips for All Skin Types:
1. Drink plenty of water to keep yourself well-hydrated
2. Eat a wholesome diet with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables for healthy and glowing skin
3. Apply sunscreen during the day and avoid direct sun exposure. Wearing protective clothing, wide-brimmed hats and sunglasses or goggles are a great help against potential skin damage.
4. Practice stress management and exercise for inner and outer wellness and radiant you!
5. Using heavy, oil-based makeup can contribute to clogging your pores. Always remove makeup before going to bed to let your skin breathe and heal as you snooze. Apply a rejuvenating night cream to improve skin texture, making it smoother and more refined.
The right skin care routine can amp up your skin. Whether your skin is a dry desert, an oily battleground, a combination enigma, or a sensitive soul, taking care of your skin can help to ease skin conditions, such as acne, excess oil, dryness etc. associated with different skin types.
Not just the products, basic skin care practices can help you look and feel your best!
Q. How to check skin type?
Ans. One of the simplest ways to check your skin type is by looking at your skin pore size and oiliness. Look in the mirror, if your pores are not at all visible with no oiliness, you have dry skin; in the case of visibly enlarged pores and shiny skin, you have oily skin. If you have more than one pore size on your face, you have a combination of dry, oily and normal skin. For more detailed analysis, you can go for an online skin analysis tool, which offers free product recommendations.
Q. How many types of skin?
Ans. Your skin type is based on the amount of sebum (oil) your skin produces. There are five skin types, viz. dry, oily, normal, combination and sensitive. Factors like stress, genetics, hormones, humidity, and signs of ageing can influence your skin's oiliness.
Q. Which sunscreen is best for all skin types?
Ans. A broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30 is ideal for all skin types. Look for a product that suits your specific needs, whether it's oil-free for oily skin or hydrating for dry skin.
Q. How to care for your skin?
Ans. To care for your skin, maintain a daily routine of cleansing (micellar water and face wash), skin care treatment (like serums) for a healthy skin barrier, moisturizing, and protect your skin it from the sun with sunscreen. Tailor products to your skin type for the best results.
Q. What is the correct skin care routine?
Ans. There is no right or wrong skin routine but, the use of correct skin care products for your skin types and concerns. The use of a gentle cleanser, balancing toner, face serums, light-weight moisturizer and sunscreen for sun protection are the basic foundations of daily face care routine.
Q. Can I use different products for mixed or combination skin types?
Ans. If you have combination skin which shows extremely different T and U zone areas, then don't be hesitant to mix and match! You can select different skin care products to manage areas of dryness, oiliness or acne in these two zones.