Many herbs, including sea buckthorn, rosemary and aloe vera play an exceptional role in skincare. Licorice is another one of those herbs that exhibit potential benefits for the skin, including reducing acne, inflammation, providing skin brightening effects and making skin soft and supple.
Follow a proper routine for acne-prone skin to prevent acne.
You can use licorice in DIY, customized as per your skin type. Continue reading to know the different ways you can use licorice to enhance your skin integrity, tone and texture by incorporating it into your skincare routine.
Take a look to learn more:
Licorice benefits for skin
Brightens skin: It can lighten the dark skin area which may be due to hyperpigmentation. It is an excellent treatment for skin spots and hyperpigmentation. It works brilliantly to lighten the skin suffering from melasma.
If you are unaware of what is melasma. Click here to know about this skin concern in a little brief.
Hide sun damage: Its application on age spots and dark spots caused due to sunlight can make your skin smooth and light. Licorice contains UV-blocking enzymes, which help to prevent future damage.
Always keep yourself safe from the harmful rays of sun. These can deeply affect your skin and lead to problems like photoaging. Therefore, along with such home remedies, also apply a good gel sunscreen every day.
Did you know, we need to apply sunscreen indoors? Click here to know why
Fade dark scars: It assists in speeding up the healing of scars by inhibiting the production of melanin. It evens out the skin tone.
You can also try these little tricks to lighten acne scars.
Alleviate inflammation: It is helpful in relieving the swelling and redness caused due to bug bites or any other reason.
Firm and tighten skin: It is helpful in the regeneration of elastin and collagen, which makes skin smooth and elastic. It also contains amino acids that help to rehydrate and moisturize the skin.
Also, try more ways to tighten facial skin.
Treat skin conditions: Many skin conditions including psoriasis and atopic dermatitis can be treated with it. The scaly patches due to these conditions can be treated with its topical use as it contains anti-inflammatory properties, which assist to decrease the itching, burning and swelling of the skin.
Treat acne: It is helpful in controlling the excess oil produced by the glands, therefore it can treat acne which is a condition caused by excessive oil production.
Therefore, you can definitely add this herb to your acne-prone skincare routine.
Heal wounds and skin infections: It has natural antifungal and antimicrobial properties, which makes it excellent for wound cleaning. It reduces swelling and redness. It reduces the number of bacteria thereby assisting in faster repair.
Along with using licorice, you can also try turmeric to heal wounds.
Fight wrinkles: Licorice has UV-blocking enzymes that help to rectify the UV ray's damage, which can lead to wrinkles. It is full of antioxidants, which inhibit free radicals and prevent premature skin ageing.
Home remedies of licorice for skin
Following are the home remedies using licorice for different skin types:
- Licorice, sandalwood face pack for sensitive skin
Sensitive skin is more prone to inflammation. Licorice will help to fight skin problems and sandalwood will provide soothing effects to the skin.
- Mix one tablespoon of licorice powder and half a tablespoon of sandalwood powder in two tablespoons of raw milk.
- Apply a thick face pack on your face and leave it for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash it off with cold water.
- You get the best results by using this face pack twice a week.
- Licorice, orange & lemon face pack for oily skin
Orange and lemon fight the clogged open pores and remove the excess oil. On the other side, licorice helps to brighten the skin and provide glow.
- Grind one orange peel. Mix one tablespoon of grinded orange peel with one tablespoon of licorice powder and one tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Apply this face mask and let it sit for five minutes. Massage it when it is left half wet. Leave it for another 10 minutes.
- Now wash it with normal water. In the end, spray rose water on the skin. This face mask can be used twice or thrice a week.
- Licorice, aloe vera face pack for combination skin
Licorice root contains anti-inflammatory properties that can help relieve skin irritation. The moisturizing qualities of aloe vera gel can aid to keep the skin hydrated. This combination can moisturize and soothe the skin.
- To make the face pack, mix one tablespoon of licorice powder and one tablespoon of aloe vera pulp.
- Then add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Mix well to avoid any lumps.
- Apply this face pack, and leave for 20-25 minutes.
- Wash your face with normal water.
- You can use this face pack every other day.
know the benefits of apple cider vinegar.
- Licorice, honey face pack for normal skin
Normal skin people can also suffer from whiteheads, blackheads, pimples and many other skin conditions. Take the help of this face pack to fight these skin issues:
- Mix two tablespoons of licorice powder with one and a half tablespoons of honey. To this thick paste add one teaspoon of lemon juice. Mix it well.
- Apply this face pack on the face and neck. Keep it for 25 minutes and then wash it with cold water. For best results apply this face pack twice a week.
Incorporating licorice products into your skin care routine can be highly beneficial for your skin. It can help to fight various skin problems including premature skin ageing, sun damage and acne. Moreover, it is suitable for all skin types. People of all skin types can get its benefits through home remedies.
Also, know the summer skincare tips to beat hot summer and get glowing skin.
The licorice plant is one exceptional herb that offers a wealth of advantages. It is possible to cure several skin issues with licorice root extract. It is a staple component for getting beautiful skin because of its potent skin-brightening abilities. It can also be utilized to repair sun damage.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Q. What is licorice?
Ans. Licorice is a herb. Its scientific name is Glycyrrhiza glabra and it is famous with the name of Mulethi in India. From ancient times, this herb is used for its medicinal properties. Along with medicinal properties, this herb also exhibits potential skin rejuvenating properties.
Q. Does licorice lighten skin?
Ans. Glabridin is one of the most potent active compounds of licorice root extract. It has skin-brightening properties and inhibits the formation of the enzyme tyrosinase which makes skin dark on sun exposure.
Q. Is licorice good for pigmentation?
Ans. Licorice Root interrupts the enzymes responsible for the activation of melanin production. Therefore, it is a natural skin-brightening agent. It improves the dark spots and prevents skin hyperpigmentation.
Q. Is licorice good for oily skin?
Ans. Licorice is ideal for oily or acne-prone skin. Its root produces licochalcone, which helps to control the production of oil.