Haldi, known with the names of turmeric powder or Curcuma longa is a spice. It is of bright yellow color and has great importance in the world of cosmetics, dyes, cooking and medicinal remedies. The benefits of turmeric is due to an important active chemical component present in it. It is known as curcumin.
The curcumin is known for its potent antimicrobial, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-neoplastic properties. Due to these amazing properties, this herb is also known to possess a beneficial role in skincare. Various scientific studies also assessed that curcumin or haldi as supplements and via skin care products (moisturizers, lotions or creams) can provide significant therapeutic benefits to the skin.
Haldi is known to increase thickness and elasticity of the skin, reduces the signs associated with photoaging, skin inflammation, skin injury and many other cosmetic problems.
Let's explore about turmeric or haldi benefits -
- Health benefits of Haldi
- Benefits of Haldi for skin
- Haldi for exfoliation
- Haldi for wounds
- Haldi for cracked heels
- Haldi for stretch marks
- Haldi for glowing skin
- Haldi for acne
Health benefits of Haldi
In the western civilization, the haldi is basically used as an anti-inflammatory agent. In India, from ancient times this is used as spice and in the Ayurvedic medicinal system for its medicinal properties.
Evident from the Charaka Samhita (an ancient text of Ayurveda), haldi is known to enhance digestion, soothe skin inflammation, digestive tract inflammation, reduces obesity, improves the function of joints, and strengthens the tissues.
From the results of the recent studies, haldi is also found to exhibit potential therapeutic effects against metabolic syndrome and type-2 diabetes. This spice is known to reduce the levels of bad lipids in the body. The spice is also evaluated for its cardio-protective benefits.
Haldi benefits for skin
Other than its health benefits, haldi also possesses considerable benefits against various dermatological problems -Treats Problem of Acne
Being enriched with potential anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties, haldi significantly treats the problems of acne. In one of the analyses, it is found that both topical and ingested forms of haldi are known to provide beneficial impact against acne.
For many skin infections, Staphylococcus aureus is responsible. In certain analyses, it is found that curcumin is known to exhibit inhibitory effects against this strain of bacteria either alone or in conjugation with conventional antibiotics.Facial photoaging
Human aging is one of the very complex processes, which involves physiological and biological changes. The factors present behind the aging are stochastic, environmental and genetics. Environmental factor plays a very crucial role in the development of photo-aging.
Photo-aging is the process involving structural and functional changes in the skin due to extreme exposure with harmful sun rays and pollutants. This further leads to skin fine lines, wrinkles and dark spots.
It is found that haldi for face via both topical and systemic introduction can help in fade the signs of photo-aging. It is due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory actions. The antioxidant action scavenges free radicals and anti-inflammatory actions soothe the inflamed and hyper-active skin.
It can also be seen in a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trial. In this trial 47 healthy selected people were given hot water infused with haldi daily. After the completion of analyses, it is assessed that the people consumed haldi reported to have potential decrease in UVB-induced side effects. Along with this, the people are also known to have improved water content of skin and development of keratinocytes.Wound treatment
Wound healing is a dynamic system, involving a course of molecular and cellular affairs. The process of healing can be differentiated into three stages:
- Hemostasis and inflammation
- Growth with development of granulation tissue
- Remodeling with formation of new epithelium and scarring
Haldi may possess potent action while the proliferative stage. Haldi is known to increase the collagen synthesis, decreases the number of membrane matrix metallo-proteinases (MMPs), and enhances the collagen fibers maturation.
Along with this, haldi also enhances the fibroblasts differentiation into myofibroblasts, which starts the process of wound contraction, and lowers the wound epithelialization phase. Haldi dudh or Haldi milk is beneficial for wound healing.Inflammatory skin conditions
Inflamed skin conditions like radiation-induced dermatitis or allergic contact dermatitis can also be treated with the help of haldi.
Various analyses have shown that haldi is a natural, herbal, effective, inexpensive and safe treatment for managing these inflamed skin conditions.
It has been evaluated that intake of 6 grams haldi per day during radiotherapy sessions is known to reduce the radiation-induced dermatitis in significant means among the breast cancer patients.
Similar to this, the cancer patients receiving cepecitable, the introduction of haldi (4 g/day) found to prevent the capecitabine-induced hand-foot syndrome.
It can be seen how effective haldi or curcumin is for the skin and associated cosmetic concerns. We can include this spice in certain home remedies to get its skin benefits.
Let's explore how we can use haldi at home to rejuvenate our skin(or haldi ke fayde) -
Haldi for Exfoliation
With the combination of gram flour, haldi can be used to exfoliate the skin, We can use this paste on a daily basis. It makes skin smooth, dirt free and radiant.
Turmeric with gram flour
- Mix a pinch of turmeric into an adequate amount of gram flour.
- Add normal water or rose water to make fine paste.
- Do a massage.
- It will help to extract excess oil, dead skin cells, clogged pores and dirt out of the skin.
- Rinse the face and apply a herbal skin toner or ultra-hydrating moisturizer to get flawless, hydrated skin. You can use Derma Essentia hydrating moisture to get the benefits.
Reduces scars and heals wounds
This spice is a boon to heal wounds and get rid of acne scarring.
Haldi for wound
- Take 2 teaspoon of turmeric powder and add simple water or coconut oil in it.
- Apply on to the affected area.
- Cover the wound with a bandage for 24 hours.
For Acne Scars
- Take 1 teaspoon of gram flour and a pinch of turmeric.
- Apply the mixture onto the affected area and leave it for about half an hour.
- Afterwards, wash with the lukewarm water and you can apply the Derma Essentia skin Brightening cream on it.
For cracked heels
Turmeric is also known to possess potential actions against cracked heels.
- You need turmeric powder and coconut oil mixture for this.
- Make a thick paste and apply on cracked heels and dry skin of your feet.
- Keep the paste for 15 minutes and rinse with normal water.
- Apply a good foot cream after washing the feet.
For stretch marks
- Mix haldi powder with lemon juice or water. You can also use coconut oil.
- Apply the paste on the stretch marks.
- Do this remedy one or two times a day.
- For suntan, take 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon curd and 1 tablespoon tomato puree.
- Mix all the ingredients, make paste and apply on the affected part.
For glowing skin
Turmeric essential oil is also enriched with potential skin rejuvenating properties.
Take 1 teaspoon of turmeric essential oil, mix it with 1 tablespoon flour, 3 tablespoons of milk and honey.
- Make a fine mixture and apply this face mask onto your face.
- Clean the face after 20 minutes and apply potent anti-aging cream.
You can also one another haldi face pack for getting glowing skin -
- Take 1/4 teaspoon haldi, 1 teaspoon milk and honey.
- Mix all the ingredients and apply on the face.
- Keep the paste on your face for 30 minutes.
Haldi for acne
- Mix one-half part turmeric powder with one part of lemon juice.
- Apply the paste on the problematic area using a cotton ball.
- Keep the paste for 20 minutes and wash off with cool water.
These are the amazing haldi benefits. Using this in home remedies along with potential skin products will bring a rejuvenating change and a natural glow onto your face. Start using this herbal remedy and make your skin radiant and robust.
Tip – Drinking haldi doodh (turmeric milk or haldi milk) or haldi tea also be beneficial for your skin and overall immunity. Drink this everyday along with using turmeric in skin care topically.
How to make haldi milk?
Benefits of haldi milk or haldi dudh are immense. To keep infections and diseases at bay and enhance your immunity, skin integrity and bone strength, drinking haldi milk every day is very important.
How to prepare healthy haldi milk -
- Milk – 120 ml / half-one cup
- Haldi – 1 teaspoon
- Grated fresh ginger – 1 small piece
- Honey – 1 teaspoon
Pour all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring milk to a boil. Reduce the heat after a boil and simmer for about 5 to 7 minutes. Strain the drink and enjoy having hot golden milk. For flavour, you can add a pinch of cinnamon from the top.
Is taking turmeric every day safe?
The safety regarding high doses of turmeric for long-term is lacking. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), up to 3 mg/kg is enough for its regular consumption.
What are the health benefits of haldi?
Haldi, being enriched with Curcumin active compound, known to prevent heart problems, Alzheimer's, type-2 diabetes, joints problems (like rheumatoid arthritis) and digestive problems.
What are the negative effects of turmeric?
Turmeric found to be well-tolerated. The most common side effects that are found in clinical studies are constipation, dyspepsia, distension, nausea, or yellow stool.
How many teaspoons of turmeric should I take daily?
The 3 mg/kg/day haldi consumption is enough. In teaspoons measuring, you can have 1/2 – 1.5 teaspoons every day.
Can turmeric improve hair growth?
Adding turmeric into your shampoo can help to reduce the hair fall, improves overall hair condition and this might help in improving your hair growth.