Rice Water for Hair and Skin: Does It Actually Work
Our skin and hair needs proper maintenance and care to stay beautiful and healthy. There are a number of tips and products available to keep them healthy. But sometimes it feels that there are so many natural potions available that there is no need to use the artificial or chemical ones.
Among such potions rice water is also very special. It is beneficial for both skin and hair. Many skin care and hair care products including creams, soaps and toners contain rice water.
This is just because of the rice water benefits like - hair growth, prevent hair damage and split ends, smoothens hair and cures dandruff. It also soothes, brightens and mattifies the oily skin. It also shows anti-ageing properties for the skin.
Let’s discuss the importance and rice water benefits for hair and skin along with its preparation and ways to use it.
- What makes rice water so special?
- How to make rice water?
- Rice water benefits for skin
- How to use rice water for face?
- Benefits of rice water for hair
- How to use rice water for hair?
1. What makes rice water so special?
The presence of a lot of nutrients in rice water that are good for skin makes it good for skin health. It is enriched with proteins that are responsible for the formation of skin cells. It also contains a large amount of starch, triglycerides and lipids that play a huge role in improving the skin in many ways. Additionally, it contains inositol, carbohydrates, inorganic substances and phytic acid that make it perfect for getting charming and glowing skin.
2. How to make rice water?
The two basic methods to prepare rice water are mentioned below:
- Boiled rice water: After cooking the rice, the excess water left is called boiled rice water.
To prepare it, you need a large vessel. Boil rice in double the amount of cooking water that you usually take to cook rice. When the rice is half cooked, strain out the water into a bottle. You can also take spray bottles to use rice water for skin.
- Fermented rice water: Take a cup of rice and wash them. Now soak the rice in two cups of water for almost 20 minutes. Stir them after every five minutes. Strain out the water and store it in a bottle. Keep it aside for overnight.
The rice water may start to ferment in the morning depending upon the room temperature. The warmer the temperature of the room, the faster the process of fermentation will be.
3. Rice water benefits for skin
There are many benefits of rice water for skin. Some of them are mentioned below:
Ø Brightening of skin: There are various skin brightening enzymes present in rice water that makes it a primary ingredient in Korean and Japanese skincare routine. It is usually used to lighten the blemishes, dark spots and brighten the complexion. Its regular use provides smooth and clear skin.
Ø Anti-aging: It is rich in antioxidants therefore, it is found to hinder the action of elastase. Elastase is a compound, which damages the elastin in skin and causes early ageing. Therefore, rice water is helpful in delaying the ageing signs.Know ways to prevent skin aging.
Ø Soothes sun damage: As it is devoid of any harsh chemicals, it provides cooling effects on mild sunburn, redness, itching and inflammation.
Ø Mattifies oily skin: Rice water shows wonderful effects in tightening of pores and skin toning. Applying rice water with the help of cotton pad can be helpful in mattifying the oily skin.
4. How to use rice water for face?
The use of rice water depends upon its preparation. You can use these two options to use it:
- For soaked or boiled preparation: Boiled or soaked rice water if stored in a spray bottle can be used directly on skin. You can apply it with a cotton pad whenever required.
- For fermented preparation: Fermented rice water is more effective than the boiled or soaked preparations. If you are using fermented rice water then dilute it with a little amount of tap water. Apply it using a cotton pad. Keep it on skin for 30 minutes and then wash it.
You can also use rice water to form face packs using honey, oats and aloe vera.
5. Benefits of rice water for hair:
Rice water has inositol, which is a carbohydrate that assists in strengthening the elasticity and decreasing the surface friction. Therefore, there are many benefits of rice water for hair health. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Improves the hair growth: Rice is potent to reduce the hair fall and help hair growth. The amino acids in rice water assist in the rejuvenation of hair and helps in the rapid hair growth.
Additionally, rice water contains vitamins B, C, and vitamin E that also help in the growth of hair. To get the best results you should rinse your hair with it after washing them. Follow this practice for at least two times a week.
- Decreases split ends: Split ends can be the result of protein deficiency. Rice water is enriched with proteins therefore its use can prevent the split ends.
The major cause of split ends is pollution and poor maintenance that results in degeneration of hair health. The rice water has amino acids that help to repair the damaged hair.
Soak your split ends in rice water for about 15 to 20 minutes and then wash. This will show improvement with regular use.
- Hair Rinse: You can improve the texture of your hair and their volume by rinsing them with rice water after washing them. Using rice water instead of a conditioner will help you in keeping your hair healthy. Learn how to wash hair for better results!.
- Protects hair from damage: Rice water is helpful in improving the hair elasticity and reducing the surface friction. The carbohydrates present in it repair the damaged hair and protects them.
- Smoothes the hair and strengthens the hair roots: The amino acids present in rice water also strengthens the hair roots, makes hair shiny, silky and smooth.
- Cures dandruff: Rice water helps you in getting rid of dandruff. For this you need to rinse your hair with rice water regularly.
- Acts as a hair conditioner: Rice water is a brilliant conditioner which is cost-effective also.Add a little of lavender or rosemary essential oil to it. Apply the solution to your hair and leave it for around 30 minutes. Now wash it with water.
6. How to use rice water for hair?
1. Boiled Rice Water: In a mug of boiled rice water add a few drops of rosemary or lavender essential oil. After shampooing, pour this rice water over it. Leave it for around 20 minutes and then rinse it with normal water. To observe results use it at least one time in a week.
2. Fermented Rice Water: Mix plenty of mustard powder in the fermented rice water to form a smooth paste. Also mix a few drops of olive oil to the paste. Apply the paste on the scalp only. Leave it for almost 20 minutes and then wash it with a mild shampoo.
Even though rice water is so economical and easy to prepare it has amazing benefits to both skin and hair. So why not enjoy its benefits? Add rice water to your skin care and hair care routine and make your skin and hair beautiful and healthy.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
How long does it take for rice water to grow your hair?
Rice water will not provide results in growing your hair instantly. It will take almost 30 to 45 days to get noticeable results. You need to use it regularly.
Can we apply rice water daily?
Rice water can be used two times a day as a skin toner and one time a day as a skin mask. It can be used as a shampoo as frequently as you shampoo your hair.
Is rice water good for hair?
Rice water can go bad as it is a natural product that contains no preservatives. However, it can last up to 5-7 days if kept in a refrigerator.
Does rice water remove dark circles?
Rice water acts as a natural toner. It tones the skin thereby decreasing the wrinkles caused by the dark circles. It assists in enhancing the blood flow and promoting the cell growth. Thereby, it assists in keeping skin clear and bright.