Onion Juice for Hair - Top Reasons to Use
Onion juice is a very known and useful remedy for hair loss and has been used as a home remedy since ages. Onion acts as a growth-stimulating ingredient and boosts the rate of hair growth and even increases its volume. Thus using onion is a sure shot method of hair growth and preventing hair loss.
Onion has a potential analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-hypertensive, immunoprotective, anti-diabetic, and hypolipidemic properties. Out of these, there is one domain, where onion juice excels and that is the renewal of damaged hair follicles.
Benefits of onion juice for hair are that it can enhance the rate of hair growth, volume, and reduce hair loss and thinning significantly. Solve the problem of dandruff.
For a quick view, we have created a short video to cover all the below mentioned points on onion juice for hair:
Let's take a deep look about onion and what miracles the onion juice for hair can do:
- Benefits of onion juice for hair growth
- Onion juice for hair fall
- Onion juice hair mask
- How to use onion juice for hair?
- Evidences of the efficacy of onion juice for hair
- Are there any side effects of onion juice for hair?
Benefits of onion juice for hair growth
Onions are highly rich in sulphur, which is a chief component of the protein keratin and is required for strong hair growth. Thus when applied to hair and scalp, it adds sulphur to the hair follicle and increases the hair strength and prevents breakage. The sulphur present in our hair follicles promote collagen synthesis and collagen later helps in the formation of new hair cells and promoting hair growth. Thus, overall it may be used as hair care treatments and it maintains hair health.
Let's discuss the benefits of onion juice for hair:
- Onion juice helps in the hair growth by boosting the level of enzyme catalase which further helps in decomposing hydrogen peroxide, thus regulating and optimizing the hair growth.
- It helps in nourishing the hair follicles with sulphur which plays an important role in the regeneration of hair follicles. Thus if the follicles are rich in sulphur, then it prevents hair thinning and breakage. Therefore, you can use onion juice for hair regrowth.
- Antioxidants present in onions prevents or delays age-related changes like greying of hair.
- Onion even has antibacterial properties which keep the scalp clean and free from any form of bacteria, thus promoting unhindered hair growth. This property even prevents dandruff in the hair.
- Onion even stimulates the scalp and increases the blood supply to the hair follicles, for their optimized and full nourishment. Thus we can say that onion for hair is highly beneficial and a necessity.
Onion for hair fall
- It has been seen that onion juice is highly efficient in preventing hair loss. Onions are highly rich in sulphur, which is a chief component of the protein keratin and is required for strong hair growth. Thus when applied to hair and scalp, it adds sulphur to the hair follicle and increases the hair strength and prevents breakage.
- The sulphur present in our hair follicles promote collagen synthesis and collagen later helps in the formation of new hair cells and promoting hair growth. Thus, overall it may be used as hair care treatments and it maintains hair health.
- However, onion juice shouldn't be considered as a cure to hair loss conditions. No doubt it boosts hair growth, increases the strength of the hair and prevents its breakage but it is not responsible for reversing any hair loss illness.
- You can use elite hair essential kit to prevent hair fall and get beautiful, soft and nourished hair.
Onion Juice hair mask
These masks play a very important role in promoting hair growth and reducing hair fall. Masks made with proper ingredients like yogurt, egg, olive oil, castor oils etc. are helpful in promoting the growth of hair follicles and increasing their nourishment and blood supply.
It also prevents hair loss and adds shine and smoothness to your hair. Hair masks also make your hair frizz-free and delay the age-related changes that occur with time.
To prepare onion juice hair mask, you need:
Onion Juice – 2 Tablespoons
Honey – 1 Tablespoon
Method of preparation:
Peel the onion and cut it into quarter-size pieces. Use any of the aforementioned ways to extract onion juice. Now add honey in onion juice and mix well.
Method of application:
Apply a thin layer of mask all over the scalp and hair, leave the mask for about 20 to 30 minutes and cover the head with a shower cap or a towel. You can also leave this mask overnight. Afterwards, rinse the hair with a rejuvenating hair shampoo followed by a nourishing conditioner and hair serum after hair rinsing to lock the moisture into hair.
Try this hair mask at least once a week or twice a month.
How to use onion juice for hair?
Many people have developed some simple methods to make use of onion juice on the hair. The simplest way is by applying onion juice on the scalp with the help of a cotton pad. Once the entire scalp is covered with the onion juice, gently massage your scalp for a few minutes.
Leave the juice on the scalp for 30 minutes and after that wash your hair properly with a mild shampoo and cool water. This can be repeated on alternate days and by applying onion juice on the scalp, we are boosting the hair growth and providing the hair with its strength.
It even tackles any scalp tissue related problems and ensures rapid and thicker hair growth.
Onion juice and shampoo combination
If the direct application method is not the cup of your tea, you can also add onion juice into your regular shampoo. In this way as well, you can get the benefits of onion juice.
However, there are various other methods too for using onion juice. Various essential oils like olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil and lemon, ginger, egg or garlic are even used in combination with onion juice for promoting hair growth. Thus smooth mixtures of above oil and onion juice are highly productive in preventing hair loss.
These are effective methods through which you can add onion juice into the hair care routine. Pick any of the methods and follow that regularly to see the amazing effects of it.
Evidences of the efficacy of onion juice for hair
According to a study published in 2002 in the Journal of Dermatology has shown the positive outcomes regarding the impact of onion juice for hair.
In this study, patients who suffered from alopecia areata (a form of hair loss) were categorized into two groups. One group is instructed to apply onion juice to their scalp twice a day for two months and another group instructed to apply tap water for the same period. At the end of the 8-week study, the group using onion juice for hair came with amazing outcomes with observable re-growth by week 6. The 86.9% patients of onion juice group exhibit full hair regrowth as compared to only 13.3% tap water group.
Other than this, some of the other studies, one published in the World Journal of Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences and in some other Journals also govern the role of onion juice for hair loss and hair re-growth.
From these, it can be estimated the efficacy of onion juice in the repair of damaged and thin hair.
However, some people have a doubt while incorporating onion juice in a regular hair care routine due to unknown side effects associated with onion juice. Is onion juice actually associated with any side effect? Let's explore:
Are there any side effects of onion juice for hair?
There are no particular side effects of using onion juice on the scalp and hair but it may lead to redness and itching depending upon the amount of juice applied on the surface of the scalp.
Onion is a safe, natural and affordable home remedy that can be highly beneficial for your hair. Many people have reported that onion for hair helps in improving the thickness of hair, stimulates hair growth and even regenerates growth of new cells in case of hair loss.
You can also check out the hair growth tips here. You can also contact us @ 8847215039.
1. How to make onion oil for hair?
In order to make onion oil, first, the onions are grinded in a mixer or grinder. After grinding the onions we obtain an onion juice or paste, which can be used for making the oil. After this, a pan is taken and coconut oil and onion paste or juice is heated and mixed together, to prepare the desired onion oil.
2. Can I use onion oil daily?
There are as such no side effects of using onion oil on the hair daily, but it is recommended that it should be applied on alternate days. Applying onion juice on hair gives you best results as it promotes healthy hair growth and prevents hair fall and greying of hair.
3. Does onion help in hair growth?
Yes, onion juice plays an important role in promoting hair growth and preventing hair fall. Onion juice consists of a huge amount of sulphur content which plays a role in providing nourishment and protection to hair follicles and thus making the hair thick and strong.
4. How to get rid of onion smell from hair?
One of the main disadvantages of using onion juice on hair is that the smell of onion juice is very strong and is intolerable, due to this most of the people prevent its use. So, in order to get rid of such smell, we can use citrus fruit shampoo or directly apply extracts of citrous fruits on your hair.
But, if you wanna get your silky and smooth hair back or prevent hair fall you should learn to live with that smell.
5. Is Onion juice good for grey hair?
Yes, onion juice helps to prevent grey hair as antioxidants present in it prevents or delays age-related changes like greying of hair